Dawn Duellists Committee
The current committee consists of the instructors, three elected office bearers and two elected representatives. The committee's main purpose is to ensure the club constitution is upheld and that members are enabled as much as possible to continue fencing and study new weapons.
The three office bearers collectively look after the day-to-day running of the club, with the traditional structure of chair, communications and finance. The office runs in a spirit of co-operation and delegates allowable tasks to volunteer assistants where necessary to ensure that all tasks are completed regardless of whose official responsibility they are. Their duties are outlined in brief in their profiles below but decisions are agreed jointly with no one office bearer being autonomous.
President - Martin Page
The President is the official representative of the Society and presides over the society. Duties include:
- Acting as the first point of contact for all external organisations
- Ensuring the Society's activities are constitutional and lawful
- Keeping internal discipline in order
- Setting the agenda for and chairing all Society meetings
- Welcoming any new members and congratulating any advancements
- Taking the opening and closing salute at all major Society events
Around 10 years ago, Martin Page's medievalism finally overcame his physical cowardice and he joined the DDS
in order to learn how to use his beloved swords. He started teaching German Longsword
so as to have other people to fight, but discovered he rather enjoys it. This is a good thing - some of his students are much much better at the actual fighting than he is.
Martin - who spent one AGM trapped in a toilet until somebody passed him a ladder so he could escape through the roof space - ended up as President almost entirely by accident and sees his role as negotiating and nudging things in the right direction, while supporting Finn and Jean-Loup, who do most of the hard work.
Secretary - Jean-Loup Rebours-Smith
The Secretary has responsibility for the Society's communications as well as official record keeping. Duties include:
- Ensuring internal and external communications run smoothly and are dealt with
This includes newsletters, publicity, society notifications, general enquiries, etc.
- Organising meetings and events
- Taking and publishing minutes of all meetings
- Recording and reporting on the internal status of members
- Recording and publishing details of official duels fought
- Ensuring all other necessary (non-financial) paperwork is in order
In spite of an initial doubt about fencing while watching people play with foils, Jean-Loup became convinced fencing was an art worth pursuing when given the chance to play with a rapier in 2003. Since then he has worked towards learning all that can be learned about the rapier, finally joining the DDS
For his sins, Jean-Loup became DDS
secretary this year and, in between writing newsletters, twittering and recording the duelling action, he will be leading the rapier class
Treasurer - Finn Bell
The Treasurer is responsible for managing the Society's monetary affairs and may have volunteer assistants to help with collection where necessary. Duties include:
- Budgeting and setting agreeable fees for membership, classes and workshops
- Book-keeping and reporting on The Society's financial status
- Ensuring all membership and training fees are collected and banked
- Recording and reporting on the Society's membership and attendance levels
- Ensuring The Society's expenses are met and paid
- Managing equipment orders made through the DDS
Finn joined the DDS
in 2008 for a term of sword & buckler after being persuaded to go along by a friend. She was a little afraid it would be a bit 'fight club', and she would come home black and blue, but nothing could be further from the truth and she has stayed ever since.
Her reign of terror as Treasurer started at the 2010 AGM and you will easily recognise her by her pink cat mascots and her loud demands to be paid. Needless to say, in spite of her competence, she doesn't take herself too seriously. Finn is also qualified as an instructor and teaches in the Agrippa rapier and sword and buckler class
. Hope to see you there!
Get in touch
Drop us an email or find out where we are and come along.